Tathra shark attack victim identified

Written by admin on 30/07/2019 Categories: 佛山桑拿论坛

Water divers from the Western Australian Police found human remains believed to be those of a 38-year-old diver reported missing at sea over the weekend, a Western Australian Police spokesperson said.


“Initial investigation indicates the male may have received shark bites,” a police statement read.

“The friends did not observe any attack and the cause of death is unclear at this stage.”

The matter is being investigated by the Coronial Investigation Unit and a report will be prepared for the Coroner.

Tathra mourns shark attack victim

NSW Police have identified Christine Armstrong as the woman who was taken by a shark off the NSW South Coast on Thursday.

NSW Police have published a statement from her family, saying she was “very loved by many people”.

“She has been swimming at Tathra Beach for 14 years and was an experienced and committed member of the surf club. She was a senior surf club trainer for many years and swimming brought her much joy and many friends. She will be sadly missed by all who loved her, especially by Rob, her husband of 44 years.”

The attack was reported shortly before 8.30am.

Mrs Armstrong, aged in her 60s, had been swimming with a group of people between Tathra Wharf and Tathra Beach.

NSW Ambulance Duty Operations Manager Bob Whitney told SBS that remains had been found.

He said the discovery was yet to be confirmed by police and a paramedic crew remained on scene.

“She was in a pack of six at the time of the incident, five of them reached their destination,” he said.

“However they noticed that [Mrs Armstrong] was not with them. Shortly after, a shark alert was noted.”

Mr Whitney said this was the first attack he had seen in the area.

“This is the first known shark attack that I’m aware of in the Tathra area,” he said.

“It’s very sombre. Those that were swimming with her at the time are extremely distressed.”

Listen: ‘First shark attack in the area,’ says NSW Ambulance Duty Operations Manager Bob Whitney

Counselling services have been organised and provided to the swimmers that were in the water with her at the time of the attack.

Mr Whitney said the two rescue helicopters were still in the air, while NSW Police and NSW Ambulance remained at the scene following the incident.

NSW Police said a report will be prepared for the Coroner.

Possible shark attack at #Tathra Police and ambulance on scene. Boats looking for possible missing person. More soon pic.twitter广西桑拿,/ALnkdPP44e

— Bega District News (@Bega_News) April 2, 2014

Bega Valley Shire Council general manager Leanne Barnes said the community was shocked by the incident.


“Our thoughts go out to the emergency workers, the groups of swimmers and everybody there at this time,” Barnes told ABC News 24.


“It’s a very popular, sensationally beautiful part of the far south coast.


“There is a very famous local swim … a group that swim (from the wharf) to the beach every day.”

More to come.

Comments Off on Tathra shark attack victim identified